Penelope Sloan is a designer with a natural talent and broad approach to design, sharing her projects at her self-named blog and working as design director at Whole New Home. She has been trained at Langara College studying 3D design, interior and graphic design, and visual merchandising. Penelope is also the winner of Urban Barn’s Next Top Designer and a Finalist in BC’s Best Young Designer. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Penelope Sloan.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style and aesthetic is “cozy chic with a pop of colour” for the most part. I like to create inviting spaces that ooze personality and warmth. I like a hint of whimsy, and I am fond of tropical / beachy influences.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Get to know my client and what their life is about. I’m pretty intuitive so I work off their vibe and lifestyle requirements to inspire me…then I get to sourcing to show them my initial ideas.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I would say every creative person I have worked with has taught me valuable lessons to cherish and I respect them all for various reasons ☺
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I look at nature the most…I meditate to activate my creative energies, and I browse art, fashion, design and lifestyle publications to keep my creative juices flowing.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
A lot of perseverance and dedication. I started my business fresh out of school and in the middle of the recession, so it wasn’t easy. I worked hard and took action to grow my business and find clients…my advice is to ignore the people who tell you “just get a job” and find a way to make it work when you're struggling and feel like giving up. HANG IN THERE - it gets awesome!