Megan Smith is a freelance designer and lifestyle blogger, writing at her own blog Dressed By Style, since 2010. Megan uses the blog as portal to share creative inspirations from all over the globe. She lives in Cape Town and is exposed to its cultural diversity, which endlessly influences her work and exposes her to vibrant possibilities. Megan also won a blog competition in 2011 and subsequently became a regular columnist for Plascon Design Centre. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Megan Smith.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I’m a firm believer that 'life is in the details.’ My personal style is a blend of contemporary lines, bold shapes and a nod to the details of the past.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I create designs that inspire me and have a story to tell. I look to my travel experiences, the day-to-day inspirations around me and the rich diversity of my South African roots.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I would have to say that my mother was always a consistent and supportive role model in my life. She was a talented botanical artist that taught me to look at life with sensitivity and sincerity. She encouraged my creative journey, offering a loyal support and unique insight, which I still draw on today.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Travel is an inspiring way to keep fresh and broaden my horizons. I always carry a sketchbook in my bag to jot down ideas, patterns and styles so that the stepping-stones of an idea are not forgotten!
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I began my career in textile design and over the years I’ve explored a wide range of other creative fields. My love for design and styling has brought me back to my textile roots. I believe it’s crucial to stay true to yourself and do what you love.