Laurel Putman is a thrift store and yard sale junkie, sharing her latest design projects on her blog Chipping With Charm, from Minnesota, United States. Laurel loves nothing more than sourcing, collecting and repurposing old and discarded furniture and bringing it back to life, so that it is "Chipping with Charm". She is passionate about sharing her projects on her blog and providing inspiration for her readers to utilise and share. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Laurel Putman.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I have a passion for decorating and repurposing. I love to take something old and discarded and give it a new life. Chipping wood and rusty metal equal “history” to me.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I like to try to forget about what the piece is supposed to be and think instead about what it could be. I am not a “rule follower” in decorating.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Thinking back to what really awakened my creative side, a woman named Sharon Conrad took me under her wing and hired me as the Buyer and Manager of her boutique, Goodthings in Minnesota. We traveled together looking for unique items for the shop. She taught me the joy of mixing the old and new in unexpected ways. She was generous with her time and talents.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I always clear the space. Whether it’s a whole room or a small shelf, I like to start with a “clean slate”. That way, my mind is open for fresh ideas.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
My family and friends continue to encourage and inspire me. I would say to surround yourself with things that you love. Don’t let fears and insecurities hold you back. The ideas that I feel the most afraid to share are usually the ones that get the most attention.