Harmony Susalla is the founder of Harmony Art, a textile designer and fabric supplier based in California. Harmony serendipitously discovered textile design, after going to a birthday party, a party she almost didn’t attend. After gaining qualifications in textile and surface design, she began working for Karen Neuburger (KN), immediately creating one of their best selling patterns. Over 15 years later her journey is still unfolding in new and exciting ways. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Harmony Susalla.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
In a word – organic! From the source of the inspiration (a flower, twig, mushroom, dew drops, etc.) to the fabric we use – GOTS certified organic cotton it’s always organically grown.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
A design always starts with a Sharpie pen and piece of white paper. I do the remainder on the computer where I can quickly play with colors, scale and layout.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Teresa VanHattan-Granath, aka The Green Bag Lady, never ceases to amaze me. Not only is she a super talented seamstress, and photographer but she is also one of the kindest and most generous people I have ever known. Her Green Bag Lady project has to date GIVEN away over 31,000 FREE reusable shopping bags. Her commitment to the planet, and all of us on it, truly is extraordinary.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Instead of trend shopping, I go trend hiking. Design inspiration emerges from my time spent in nature exploring the Sonoma/Mendocino coast of California. Nature provides an infinite supply of ideas.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Mark Twain wrote: “All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence.” That was me! Advice: Things won’t always unfold the way you want them to, but never forget that you DO have control over how you choose to react and that will make ALL the difference.