Dawn Warnaar is a graphic and brand designer, crafting hand-lettered prints for her Etsy shop By Dawn Warnaar, based in St. Louis, Missouri. Dawn is a mom of three, who developed her design skills in 2013 to develop a more flexible career path. She has a lot of interests, including writing, sewing and crafting, all of which have their own place on her blog. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Dawn Warnaar.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I love mixing vintage-style pieces with more modern, industrial pieces. The juxtaposition of the two, done well, creates a homey design space you just want to relax in.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process? I’m constantly making notes of ideas and things I find inspiring. I have lists everywhere. Often, my favorite part(s) of a project come to me mid-design!
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My fellow DIY & Lifestyle bloggers, hands-down! Most of these incredibly talented women are working from home, juggling their love to create and their families. I am blown away by their ingenious designs, gorgeous projects, unique styles, and their ability to be self-made designers and entrepreneurs. While there is much to be said for formal education, I really believe a great sense of design is something you are born with.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Getting out of my office and just window-shopping. I especially love a trash-to-treasure project. I find something so satisfying about taking a dated piece and giving it new life.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I started my career as an HR Manager. Then, I married a military man. A traditional career is hard when you’re moving every few years. It changed my career in the best way possible. Now, I do what I really love…create everyday! My advice is simple: Do what you love.