Carrie Spalding is the founder of Lovely Etc!, where she shares decorating, creating and repurposing advice and tutorials. Carrie is passionate about DIY and is on a mission to restore her dated 1970’s home into a beautiful haven for her family. One small project at a time she began to notice a real difference in her home and learn that there are no rules to DIY, so you really can get creative. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Carrie Spalding.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I love to combine vintage finds and furniture with colorful, modern accessories and fabrics. My favorite spaces have plenty of light and lots of color!
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I focus a lot of designing on a tight budget, so the process usually starts with something I find really inexpensively at a thrift store or yard sale. Then I start brainstorming how to making it beautiful again!
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I have worked with so many DIY bloggers that are amazingly creative. I am constantly inspired by the creative ideas they share.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
When I am looking for inspiration, I usually think about how I want the project to feel when it is finished – Happy? Calming? Playful? Then I look for colors and patterns that give that feeling.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I started getting creative with design when I wanted to make our fixer-upper beautiful but had no budget to redecorate. I discovered lots of ways to design a gorgeous home for very little money and that’s what I share on my blog. When you are ready to decorate but don’t have a ton of money, it is important to forget all the traditional decorating rules and look for new ways to use what you already have.