Apryl Miller is a visual artist working on new art installations from her studio in New York. Apryl was raised in a large creative family, which explains her love of DIY, crafts, design and art. She continues to work on new projects with unabated creativity. Salon.com described her studio as “one of the most immersive, intricate, habitable art installations in the city”. She has also been reviewed by the Time Out New York, MTV and HGTV. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Apryl Miller.
Image Credit: 1) Mighty Vintage 2) Pink Okra, 3) Ariella Kadosh, 4) Wood Brass Class, 5) Objects 20c
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Vintage and custom made goods in dense patterns and endless bold colors. The more, the better. Do not match, do not balance, make everything wrong. Do not retreat.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Ideas come to me and I try to write them down and draw little sketches. If I’m stumped, I start with the ‘No’s”, that which I don’t want.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I have the most respect for the photographers I have worked with. I admire the way they are able to illuminate the unseen.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
If anything, I have too many ideas, too much stimuli, more ideas than one person could execute in their lifetime. My wellspring overflows.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
My career developed organically as I lived my life, without schooling or a plan. After a certain point, it has required a thick skin, perseverance, unshakeable faith in myself, the knowledge that I have nothing to lose, dark nights of the soul and a continuing faith and trust in God.