Malene Barnett is a bold and modern carpet designer, traveller and creative, sharing her designs on her eponymous website, from Brooklyn, New York. Malene is a refreshing and globally inspired carpet designer, creating sophisticated and contemporary carpets for residential and commercial environments. She works closely with architects and interior designers creating timeless designs that enliven interiors. She has also appeared on the Nate Berkus Show, and been a guest speaker for a TEDx Talk event. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Malene Barnett.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Colorful, modern and influenced by world culture, art and icons. My designs inspire you to...Be Worldly. Live Boldly.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I reflect on my world travels and sort through photographs to draw inspiration. When something hits me, I computer sketch a composition, then add color before proceeding to final renderings.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My clients...Interior Designers. Their vision inspires me. Its amazing how they visualize our carpets in environments that are only in their rendered stage. I love how they create colorways and layer textures that give my designs a fresh point of view.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I take a trip! I'm a visual person and look for everyday icons, experiences, people or environments for inspiration, which are often overlooked.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Being focused, driven and authentic has been my success catalyst. Entrepreneurship is an unforgettable roller coaster ride with lots of up and down dips. My advice: research the industry you wish to develop business, focus on one product, grow it organically, take a deep breath (inhale/exhale slowly) and...START!!!