Kelly Amen is a professional interior stylist and furniture designer, working at his own firm Kelly Gale Amen Design. Kelly started his design firm in 1974. He then went on to become a valued member of the Houston design community, as well as renowned for cutting edge concept design. A founding member of ASID, Kelly’s work has been featured on HGTV’s Extreme Homes as well as in other media. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Kelly Amen.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My lack of reverence for space, juxta-position, and reflection allow me to play on an open field that are not common to the end user and hold an element of surprise.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Beginning with the flip, asking only what you don’t love, want, or need allows me to transform, eliminate and move into a positive direction with the elements the client loves.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Creative people are only creative energies. As I move forward the lure of travel and where it takes me allows me to morph into their creative energies, their cultures, and the environmental spaces. I learn from this.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
It is essential that I stay away from the negative of what I cannot do but look for the challenge of what I can do to stretch my creative spirit as well as the consumer’s possibilities.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Follow your dream and creative excite. Then, share what you find, embrace and love with those who search you out. It works.