Jane Lockhart is a designer, TV personality and currently one of Canadaʼs best-known colour experts, with her own firm Jane Lockhart Interior Design. Jane has practiced within Toronto since 1997, when she established her own design firm. She is the creative director and host of W Networkʼs Colour Confidential, which has run for six seasons. Jane’s work has also been featured in Canadian Living, Toronto Homes and Reno & Décor. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Jane Lockhart.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
We do favour a cleaner version of any style, but we change our style to suit that of our clients.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Intense interview with clients and we look around their entire house to see what they really love.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I admire our carpenter, Howard, as he is so clever. No matter what we give him, he brings it to life
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I love look at art or fabric selections. Both are beautiful and rooted in history and culture and this gets me inspired!
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I always designed, drew and built things since I was a small child. It is natural for me to be in interior design. For those who wish to do this, I would say learn all you can. Be sure to listen to builders and suppliers as they know a lot!