Helen Gifford is the owner of custom lighting brand, Helen Bilt, which is based in New York. Helen believes that the purpose of art and design is to enliven, enrich, entertain. She loves to see the “big picture” in her work, and see how her lighting designs fit into the real world. Helen is also a graduate of the Parsons School of Design, graduating in 2000 and setting up her business soon after. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Helen Gifford.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Industrial beach in hard materials, and luxe and plush in soft materials. With my lighting line, wallpaper line and now burgeoning textile line I feel like the luckiest girl with this trifecta
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
The statement of the room; I work out a vignette, so it feels fresh though you’ve just come across a special place.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Chefs. Hands down. Color, structure, texture, and, of course sensory elements, all conspire to literally sustain life.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
When I travel, it’s always the art and music I seek out to get the vibe of a place. And I’m an avid paddle boarder, so viewing the shoreline and architecture of a given place from the water offers an entirely different perspective.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Naivete in healthy doses, mistakes/happy accidents, treating people incredibly well, listening and listening, keeping my word, and loving my work like I love my life.