John Gerard is the founder of Our Home from Scratch, along with his wife Lisa, which they started writing in 2011, from Philadelphia. John and Lisa love to share super detailed carpentry tutorials, landscaping projects and interior design tips. They also give readers advice on how to save money around the home. Their ultimate goal is to answer common remodelling questions and help their readers to learn from their own experience and past mistakes. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of John Gerard.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I prefer traditional, more timeless styling for the design and décor of our home projects. I don’t think my taste or sense of style is anything unique. I like doing something once and not readjusting it every other year.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I first start with functionality, especially if the project is something for our home. The aesthetics are always secondary. Once I know the utility, I can shift gears and focus on the looks.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I haven’t worked with many folks in my field, to be honest. I admire my blog readers the most. They approach their own home projects with energy and personality. I’m happy I get to help them.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I stick with the basics: home design magazines and Pinterest. The challenge though is envisioning those designs you like into your home so there is continuity.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I’m not a hugely successful blogger, by any means, but I persist. In the blogging business it’s important to be patient, stay focused on one particular topic area that you can bring value to and treat your readers with respect.