Haeley Giambalvo is a home decor and design blogger, sharing her $20 projects on her blog Design Improvised, from San Antonio, Texas. Haeley is dedicated to sharing projects that you can do on a budget and that will make a big impact on your home - that’s why all of her projects can usually be completed for under $20. She also loves improvising to develop new and creative approaches to design. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Haeley Giambalvo.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Simple home décor projects that make a big impact. I love using everyday materials or thrift store finds in a modern way. My look is eclectic, cozy, and colorful.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
My best DIY ideas come from sneaking away to my office for an hour to play around with different materials. For design projects, I always start with an inspiration piece.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My two daughters, Stella age 5 and Hazel age 3 are a constant influence on my creative process. I love seeing the world through their eyes - the colors and materials they use in their art projects, the ideas they come up with. When I am creating, they are always by my side and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Step away from my computer! My best ideas come from spending quiet time in my craft room, meandering the aisles of a thrift store, or sitting outside with a magazine.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
A strong drive to continually improve my aesthetic, photography, and blogging savvy. A constant desire to choose making and designing over anything else. If you find something you always prefer to do in your free time it doesn’t feel like work!