Gonçalo Campos is a product designer that collaborates with prestigious style and furniture brands, from his studio in France. Gonçalo joined Fabrica after gaining a degree in product design in 2008. This enabled him to work closely with leading brands, such as SecondoMe, Seletti and Zanotta. Now working for his own studio, he loves to find surprising solutions to design problems, by utilising materials and novel production methods to creative ingenious and practical products. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Gonçalo Campos.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I am mostly interested in products that are made, look, and function in a different way, that really stand out and surprise.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
For me the first step is always to understand how it will function, or how it will be produced. These basic first steps will inform the rest of the process.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I tend not to be surrounded by too many creative people. The people I admire the most are the manufacturers and craftspeople. They have so much experience and working knowledge that it's impossible not to admire their craft and care. And they are creative in their own way, coming up with solutions and methods that may prove crucial.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
What I like to keep in mind at all times is the production processes, mechanisms, and functionality of the products. These guide me into developing the final product.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
My only advice would be to really love what you do. That is the biggest motivation, and what will drive anyone forward.