Diane Chandleur is the founder of De Space Designs a full design and architecture practice, based in Washington, DC since 2005. Diane provides clients with integrated design concepts and sustainable designs. Offering excellent designs, her team are passionate about connecting ideas with spaces to improve quality of life. She has received honorable mentions at ASID 2013 and ASID 2014, including a 1st place award for commercial design and 2nd place award for residential design. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Diane Chandleur.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I launched De Space Designs to focus on “Earth-Centered Design” a holistic and integrated design concept. Our designs are inspired by the genius and beauty of the natural earth, and are informed by humanity.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
We first do a lot of listening and observation of our clients for direction. A clear understanding of their process and inspiration. We then fuse technology, and innovate design, with the sensory elements of design, to positively influence human activity, behavior, emotions and intent.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Children without a doubt are at the top of my list. I love the wonderful pure intuitive and unaffected response to life. I aspire to hold on to that honesty in my design work.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I am ultimately inspired by nature. I immerse myself in the natural world all around. Whenever possible, I take a walk by the beach.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I am by nature a dreamer. I do believe that our potential is limitless. I keep my focus on the present and the future. I have no time for regret and fear. Ironically the experiences that most would refer to as failure or "unfortunate" actually forged a steely resilience and laser focus in my own professional journey." I highly recommend hard work, lots of passion and collaboration!