Cathleen Davidson is a colour and design expert offering onsite and virtual consultations from Connecticut, US. Cathleen loves life, especially colour and design, as it stimulates her mind. It’s this passion that fuels her work and is the reason that she pursued a design career. Her goal is to work with clients to make their homes beautiful and meaningful for their lifestyle. She also has an Interior Design degree from Parsons School of Design. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Cathleen Davidson.
Image Credit: 1) Serena and Lily 2) MGBW Home 3) Restoration Hardware 4) West Elm 5) DWR
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style is that of an artist. To me, interior design is living art. I create beautiful and meaningful space, with lots of personality to reflect my unique client and project.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I get to know the space in and out, up and down, and all around. Seriously. And I don’t just see the space - I feel the space – and observe how color, light and shapes interact.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
The most creative person I know to inspire me is my brother – a talented writer. Like a designer, he creates a story, a vision, an experience, but he does it through words. When I color and design, I want to elicit the same excitement. I want the space to tell a story, to have meaning, to elicit a reaction.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Inspiration is the soul of a design. And where better to find it than in nature. I take long walks. Creativity flows when I’m in a natural spontaneous state.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Passion, diligence, confidence, and lots of laughter along the way. Yes education and hands on experience is critical for success. But more importantly, trust your creative talents, trust your eyes and gut, take creative risks, and always enjoy the fabulous journey along the way.