Amanda Brooke is the founder of Mommy is Coocoo, a blog where she details all of her craft ideas and design inspirations. Amanda loves everything DIY and adores turning trash into treasure, then sharing the result. She’s also proud of the fact that her garage often resembles a thrift store. A former healthcare work, Amanda opted to retire early in order to dedicate time to her three kids. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Amanda Brooke.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I am drawn to bold spaces, vintage, eclectic and colorful. I love reimagining pieces and giving them a functional purpose. Give me a modern room full of antiques.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I plan my projects around objects that I love. I don’t worry about what matches. I design and live with things I am drawn to and things that inspire me.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My grandmother was truly inspirational. From a creative perspective there wasn’t really anything she couldn’t do. I walk through my house and see her beautiful influence everywhere. In addition to being a gifted writer, my grandma was a seamstress, woodworker, and potter. Long after her passing she continues to be a part of my everyday life.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I love to shop vintage with my girl-friends. My friends have great taste and when we shop together they inspire me to think and look at things differently.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
My blog is my attempt to make all parts of my life lovely. If I can bring some loveliness to others along the way then I’ve accomplished my goal. If you are passionate about something don’t be afraid to try! Determination and courage have to continually be part of the process. Be resourceful and try to balance hard work and fun.