Together Christine and Jan are the dynamic duo of DIY and the proud authors of ‘Little House on the Corner’. They think that any job worth doing is worth doing well and that you don’t have to have a massive bank balance to create a home you love. They don’t pretend to be professionals but welcome you whole heartedly to share their creativity and frugal thinking and to look around their labour of love, which is a constantly evolving work in progress. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Christine and Jan.
Image Credit: 1) Kith & Kin 2) Heal’s 3) Tom Dixon 4) FAO Shop 5) One Must Dash
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Contemporary and minimalist, but most of all a work in progress! We’re always changing and updating things. The best designs are usually the ones developed over time.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process? We like to plan every detail before we start. We can get slightly obsessed but a clear plan always helps keep on track and save time in the long run.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My architects have been a huge influence. They came up with a design that will completely transform the way we live in our home and had the vision to create something beautiful and push us just to the edge of our comfort zone. Changing your home can be daunting and being able to work with someone you trust and respect is essential.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
When we’re planning a new project we look for inspiration everywhere. You never know when inspiration may strike. Magazines and Pinterest are also great for seeing inspiring interiors.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
A lot of hard work! As cliché as it sounds, getting stuck in and really working on something is the only way to get results.