Zoë Hewett is a Bristol based designer, working from her own design firm Zoë Hewett Interiors, since 2012. Zoë initially worked in theatre design, having studied at the Wimbledon School of Art. This work then led into production design, before she finally switched fields and entered the world of interior design. In 2009 she design up-cycled furniture as an environmentally friendly alternative to flat-pack furniture. She has even worked as visual merchandiser for Habitat. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Zoë Hewett.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style is chameleonic as I’m always aiming to articulate a client’s taste. I’m drawn to aspects of styles from many eras and countries, but my own home is probably best described as ‘bohemian’!
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
When I designed theatre sets the starting point was always the script, now its clients’ answers to my questions. The most throwaway of comments tend to spark the best ideas for visuals.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
An inspiring artist couple who were my mentors while working together as Community Artists in Wales. They taught themselves so many unexpected skills, are interested in everything and have a fantastic work ethic.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I scour for interiors photos online, but try to be inspired from other sources so as not to copy, looking everywhere from Bristol Zoo to brick walls and drains for unusual colour combinations.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Absolute determination, and feeling the fear and doing it anyway. Having professional design experience, albeit in theatre and film not interiors, has certainly helped. My advice to others would be to learn your craft, be inspired, rigorous and individual, and just go for it!