Susan Penning is a thrifty homemaker that writes about decorating, organizing and remodelling on her blog Living Rich on Less from Pennsylvania. Susan loves auctions, yard sales and thrift stores - as she adores transforming her treasures into functional furniture. She firmly believes that with creativity and optimism people can create an amazing home on a budget. Her work has been featured on over 20 media outlets and she even has her own podcast. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Susan Penning.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I would consider my style rustic elegant with a lean toward traditional.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I’ll see something I like on Pinterest or in a home magazine. From there, I’ll figure out how I can make the idea – or something similar – work in our home. I’ll price out materials, put in the labor, and make it happen!
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I love the Shanty2Chic sisters because they’re real moms with real life challenges and yet they’re not afraid of going all-in with their DIY projects.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Again, I love perusing Pinterest or my home magazines and catalogs. I’m never short on inspiration after that!
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Sheer grit has brought me to this point! It’s taken me way longer to make a decent buck doing what I do. My advice is make sure you really love what you’re doing because you’re going to work harder than you ever have to make it happen! Loving what I do and having a supportive family are the reasons I’ve been able to stay the course!