Rachael Taylor is a fun and energetic British surface pattern designer and illustrator who creates ‘patterns to make you happy’! Since graduating from university in 2005, Rachael has been lucky enough to work for a number of prestigious clients worldwide. Rachael also runs her own design label along with successfully licensing a number of global branded collections. Her designs feature on fashion, home decors, greetings, gadgets and ceramics. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Rachael Taylor.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Fun, spontaneous design with a quirky twist and lots of energy.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Music really drives my creativity. I generally download some new tracks, jot down some notes, turn up the music loud and get going.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I am lucky enough to have worked with a number of renowned creatives, who continue to inspire me on a daily basis. In particular my business partner Beth Kempton (co-founder of Make it in Design), Louise Tiler (incredibly talented designer) and Libby McMullin (wonderful illustrator).
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I love walking and soaking up the inspiration around me – I never go anywhere without a camera and record things on a daily basis. Often the most mundane things can spark ideas for my design work.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Hard work and dedication and the drive to never get up. I have also taken many risks along the way and believed there are no mistakes as every right or wrong has allowed me to progress on my journey. There is one particular quote that I love that I think is really helpful to a lot of people: “Don’t compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.” – Unknown.