Orawee Choedamphai is a designer based in Thailand specialising in three-dimensional knitted structure that are primarily used within interiors and as fashion accessories. Orawee studied in Bangkok, as well as in the UK - gaining a degree in industrial design and a textiles and surface design BA (Hons). Heavily inspired by Lego, her designs embody a ‘modularity’ with her creations having structures that are sectional with each piece merging together to create a larger structure. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Orawee Choedamphai.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Bold, structured, and architectural. I like to work in three-dimensions, experimenting with different textures and unconventional materials. Nowadays, I tend to favour things with a more organic and delicate touch.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I usually start my projects photographing textures and shapes, making things, and further hands-on experimenting. I also do a lot of thinking and planning.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My tutor during my MA: Lynn Jones. She was a really thought-provoking and inspirational person, with a real skill in bringing the most out of her students. She is someone I will never forget.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I take a lot of photographs, and, quite intentionally, clutter my work space with interesting objects. I also love to swing dance as it fills me with spontaneous positive energy.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Hard work; I usually overwork, and struggle to keep the work-life balance. Dancing helps enormously, though. Be positive but make sure you are being honest to yourselves; be bold with your decisions; don’t be afraid to be different; ensure good planning; and always have your sketchbook at the ready.