Natalie Williamson is a surface pattern designer and illustrator working from her eponymous design brand, based in West Yorkshire. Natalie creates homewares and stationery that is bold and exudes a cheerful and fun use of colour. She creates quirky prints by using hand drawn motifs, lettering and digital elements. Her approach to design is playful and vibrant, yet her ultimate aim is to brighten up her customers homes, at an affordable price. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Natalie Williamson.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I create happy surface patterns and illustrations which are bold playful and full of colour. My designs have a nostalgic feel with a quirky retro vibe.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I sketch and doodle to brainstorm, which leads me to drawing more detailed ideas this sparked. I take these sketches into digital format to develop in Illustrator, occasionally Photoshop.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I have oodles of respect and admiration for my old university tutor Ian Massey, who is an art historian, writer and curator. Having someone just “get you” can really make all the difference. He encouraged me to push myself, explore and experiment. He also steered me in the direction of other relevant artists to inspire me. This gave me the confidence to trust my own instincts a little more.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I’m always taking photos and saving images of things that I love or inspire me, into folders and onto Pinterest boards. When I need inspiration I turn to these.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
A desire to love going to “work” and creating something that will make another person cheerful. I believe the things surrounding you impact your mood, so I aim to create “happy surface designs” to help people surround themselves in joy. My advice: trust and believe in yourself. Never stop learning!