Megan Adams Brooks is an artist and textile designer, as well as founder of her eponymous brand, where she creates patterns and textures, working from Dallas, Texas. Megan applies her unique designs to homeware products, to add a contemporary yet transitional flare to everyday products. She also holds a Bachelor of Fine Art degree from Southern Methodist University and has received a Masters of Fine Art from the University of North Texas. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Megan Adams Brooks.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My unique style is created by using original designs inspired by patterns and textures in nature that I then manipulate on the computer. As a result, I repeat the organic forms and come up with distinctive colorways to add a transitional flare to an environment.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I go straight to my sketch book. It’s filled with sketches and pictures of various things that inspire me.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Cynthia Collins, of Collins Interiors in Dallas, Texas, is someone for whom I have great admiration. She is not only a design force to be reckoned with, she is one of the most genuine individuals I have met.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
When starting a new pattern, I draw inspiration from photographs and sketches from trips or sometimes just a walk outside. Also, when I see a particular color combo, it inspires me to include the colors in my designs.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
To get to this point in my career, I continuously showed my work whenever I was able to. My advice to fellow designers would be to work hard and not let mistakes or disappointments set you back.