Mark de la Vega is the founder and principal designer of DLV Designs, a full-service design and furniture production company, based in Red Hook, Brooklyn. Mark offers rugged designs that are expertly refined with a contemporary approach to century old techniques. He utilises high quality materials, premium finishes and a distinct style of art deco and 1950s aesthetics. Overall Mark is committed to creating heirloom pieces for his clients. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Mark de la Vega.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My aesthetic is nestled in between comfort and luxury; mixing mediums and using refined finishing techniques allows each piece to age with grace while telling a story.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
It begins by researching, brainstorming, ideation, building a physical prototype.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I’m honored to have worked with some of the top talents in the industry, including Bill Sofield, Anouska Hempel, David Collins, Michael S. Smith, and Kelly Wearstler. Their use of scale and proportion and mixing of colors and materials creates layered, luxurious interiors that are inspiring.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I absorb as much as I can. I read constantly, watch everything. I go to auctions to study the masters.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Hard work. You have to be able to out-work everyone. If you’re not willing to do that, you better be either very good, very lucky, or very rich.