LZ Cathcart is the owner and creator of The Summery Umbrella, a design blog and online shop she runs from North Carolina, with her BBF contributor Danielle. LZ’s goal is to encourage the doubtful and inspire people to be creative, as she knows what’s its like to have an unfulfilled dream. She formerly worked in advertising and spent 8 years in the US Air Force, before taking the plunge and pursuing a more creative career. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of LZ Cathcart.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I am without a doubt infused and inspired by all things in nature. Pairing these items with repurposed and rustic décor with a twist of modern appeal is my ideal.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Intuition always gets me started, but then I focus on a location for the end result. Colors, textures and finishing touches come next.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Bonnie Christine from Going Home to Roost is simply amazing. Not only is she as sweet as honey, but also has a gorgeous and unique style that can be instantly picked out from a crowd. She’s worked so hard to get to where she is, and isn’t afraid to share her knowledge with others. She always goes that extra step, and I truly admire her work ethic.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Inspiration finds me at all hours of the day. The key for me is to make sure I always have a notebook on hand to write everything down.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Courage. I never thought in a million years that I could successfully pursue a creative life until I tried. I believe that you can accomplish your dreams with hard work, staying true to your creative style and also learning as much as you can to get to the next level.