Lori Howard is the founder of Hope Designs, an award winning Home Staging & Interior Decorating firm based in Toronto. Lori helps her clients to create sophisticated and stylish interiors both for personal use and for home staging, preceding a house sale. She also offers project management services to take the stress and hassle out of interior renovation and design. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Lori Howard.
Image Credit: 1) West Elm 2) Ultra Luxe Linens 3) Clare Binnie 4) West Elm 5) Hope Designs
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style is a hybrid typically I design spaces that portray a contemporary urban vibe with a rustic country twist. My tag line is "HD style where casual meets contemporary, sophisticated country meets city".
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I identify the design direction appropriate for the project. Then devise a plan. Next I start sourcing materials in order to execute the plan so I can solidify my vision and voilà!
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My friend and mentor Jacqueline as she is the consummate professional, she is poised and polished yet extremely down to earth. She is always there to support other Designs Professionals yet has time to focus on running her high level multi faceted business empire. I can't thank her enough for the support she has provided me!
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I try to sleep LOL the minute I lay my head on the pillow it comes to me. I’m literally up all night sketching; this plays havoc on sleep but creates exceptional design!
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Hard work, dedication, blood, sweat and tears! Listen to your clients; get a sense of how they live, and their design aesthetic. Getting to know your clients intimately will guarantee success when the project is complete. You will learn more from your clients and hands on work than any course will ever teach you!