Lauren Kim is a home decor and DIY blogger, with a passion for her home and family, sharing her projects at Mom Home Guide and writing from Princeton, New Jersey. Lauren loves to write about her DIY work and is obsessed with home improvement; trying to improve her home one project at a time. She formerly worked both at the The Wall Street Journal and Soap Opera Digest, in various roles including editor, blogger and writer. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Lauren Kim.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I aim to create a comfortable, colorful and fun space for my family. Lately I have been adding color and bright patterns to our home with DIY/repurposed furniture and craft projects.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
My projects are sparked by a particular need in my home. I get a lot of inspiration from other bloggers and from Pinterest!
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My parents. They were big DIYers when I was young. My dad was always remodeling and landscaping, and my mother was a painter, did some batiking, and crafted.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I love to peruse décor blogs, Pinterest and magazines for inspiration, or hop in the car and visit discount or thrift shops. Visual inspiration is what works best for me.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I started out as a staff member on magazines and newspapers, but when my kids were tots, I started my own blog. Bloggers are a helpful bunch, so if you are interested in blogging, don’t be afraid to get started. Reach out to other bloggers for help!