McCrum Interior Design is a London practice based in the Kings Cross area and was established in 2003 by Katie McCrum. Katie is a guest lecturer at the School of Interior Design and a member of the British Institute of Interior Design. The studio has a well-earned reputation for delivering a distinctive urban style with elegance - while keeping the process innovative and straightforward.
Image Credit: 1) Semaine 2) Chiara Colombini 3) Abigail Ahern 4) Caravane 5) Rockett St George
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Urban chic. Glamorous - not slick, quirky with mid-century furniture, an earthy colour palette with injections of colour and a playful take on texture and pattern.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I teach the design process at The Interior Design school in Maida Vale and I follow it because it works. I always spend time on developing the concept which means research.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
The famous international artist Raqib Shaw because I worked closely with him as lead designer on the conversion of an old sausage factory into his own living sculpture – a fantastical world that was to be his working studios and private residence. Raqib is known for his opulent and intricately detailed paintings of imagined paradises, inlaid with vibrantly coloured jewels and enamel. I travelled extensively as part of the research process and he pushed me to think outside every box. It was an amazing experience.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
The world around me. Exhibitions, architecture, nature, art and fashion.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Hard work, good working relationships, planning, learning from mistakes and being open to new experiences. Try new things, explore your limits and take time to absorb the world around you.