Katie Drane is a craft blogger, writing about Southern cooking, and household tips on her blog Fun Home Things from Mayfield, Kentucky since 2012. Katie loves writing about DIY, decorating, craft ideas and tips that people can actually carry out. She began the blog as a creative outlet for friends and family, but surprisingly it turned into her coolest job ever. Within months of writing her very first blog, Fun Home Things took off! So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Katie Drane.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style is a combination of French Country and Farmhouse Chic. Casual, interesting, pretty, and durable. I love distressed painted furniture, metal accents, pops of color, and lots of texture.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I have to be completely alone. I need a few hours to play around with ideas without any outside influence or opinions.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Believe it or not, my parents! My dad can build just about anything and my mom has an incredible eye for design. They taught me the joy of creating things with my own hands and are both masters at repurposing. I love working with them. I love hearing their ideas. Outside of my family, it would be awesome to work with designer Joanna Gaines from Magnolia Homes one day.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I like to go to antique stores and flea markets to get inspired. There’s just something about old furniture and decor—the feel, the smell, the history—that gets the creativity flowing.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I absolutely love what I do, I work hard at it, I’m kind to everyone I meet, and I keep learning. My advice is to just start! Put yourself and your talents out there, work really hard and see what happens.