Karen Mills is an interior designer working from her eponymous design studio, based in Kansas City. Karen believes everyone should have access to beautiful design, so inspires people through her design projects, blog and design show appearances. She designs furniture, area rugs, and works of art, bringing her unique approach to design into the homes of her clients. She has also acted as spokesperson for top design companies, such as Sherwin Williams, Kohler and G.E. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Karen Mills.
Image Credit: 1-5) Karen Mills
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
After spending a childhood surrounded by beautiful art, music, fabrics, and culture I lean toward timeless inviting interiors full of life and light that personally reflect my client's style.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Love to take clients on a journey of discovery to help define their dream and translate their style into an interior that perfectly reflects them.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Andrew Ellenberg, my executive producer for Living Large , a design and lifestyle show I hosted for 8 years on the Entercom radio network, never ceases to amaze me with his creative genius whether it's a new show concept, branding, or just thinking outside the box.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
As someone who's always seeking out the latest new adventure whether it's a new international travel destination, event, or the great outdoors, I find constant inspiration through life's experiences.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Being open to try new things and take risks along with hard work, loving people, and refusing to ever give up had a major impact on my success and can make a huge impact on your success too.