Jessica Wilde is a freelance surface pattern designer living and working in Shropshire, from her own eponymous design brand. Jessica has a distinctive style that utilises hand drawn floral patterns and whimsical geometrics, which are showcased using layers of colour and intricate markings. Jessica also graduated from Birmingham City University in 2008 with a degree in Textile Design, which included a placement at Monsoon Accessorize Ltd where she gained valuable experience. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Jessica Wilde.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Stylised florals mixed with intricate line work and colour play, I also like to include a few creatures in my pattern and illustration too.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Everything starts with drawing and I often use fineliners to add more detail. Colour is then added digitally or with watercolour and ink, and I enjoy experimenting with different layering effects and repeats.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I really admire any designer pursuing their creative venture, it takes a lot of determination and hard work! I’ve always been very inspired to see a creative business grow and flourish from a small acorn of an idea, especially when sometimes it’s against all odds.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I’m also a keen photographer so I like to get out to find some good shots of florals and wildlife, which rural Shropshire is perfect for.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I originally trained as a weaver before switching to wallpaper design, and finally deciding to focus on surface pattern and illustration. My advice would be to keep letting yourself grow, evolve and most of all creating. Play to your strengths and what you enjoy doing most, also be very patient and persistent!