Isla Schmidt is a senior designer at Jac Interiors, based in Los Angeles, United States. Isla has over ten years experience in commercial and residential design, as well as visual merchandising. Isla grew up in Hawaii, an experience that has had a lasting impact on her sense of style. In fact her Hawaiian roots have influenced many of her professional projects. Isla is a graduate of Chaminade University, holding a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Isla Schmidt.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
We love to mix prints and patterns and use wallpaper in at least one room per project! We're eclectic but modern, we balance a fine line between being too vintage and too stark.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
We love to layout our clients current vibe via their pinterest boards and photos of their home. Then we take that general feel, and come up with our own way of making it fun, unique and still fit with what our client is asking for.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I always respect artists i work with. They're so brilliant and dedicated and inspirational. I love working with creative people to help create something new and unknown.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
We like to go out to lunch and together, each pick a word we're feeling for that particular project and then share vibes, places, colors, anything that brings up what that feeling is we're trying to evoke. This gets us all excited and thinking about possibilities and it's collective, so fun as well.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
We've each tried so many different areas of design throughout the years - retail, art, product design, psychology (necessary!!!), we've all been open to expanding and trying new areas which i think always helps you grow as a designer and individual.