Felicity Joll is the creative director of Yellow Diva, an ambitious design studio established by Australian industrial designer David Walley and British architect James Davis. The firm was launched in 1996 with its first series of organic, sculptural furniture, which were showcased at 100% Design London and Salone del Mobile Milan. Yellow Diva has also worked with notable brands including Top Shop, BP and Microsoft. Felicity is responsible for repositioning the brand for its Australian debut. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Felicity Joll.
Image Credit: 1) Crabb 2) Crabb 3) Yellow Diva 4) Zenith Interiors 5) Yellow Diva
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Yellow Diva products have a freshness and vitality that sets them apart from the crowd. Our furniture designs are sculptural and original with a playful personality and an autonomous energy.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
We start with an instinct, a moment of inspiration from which we build a broad image bank of ideas. Loose freehand sketches move to hand drawn scale drawings and conceptual physical models.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Brett Phillips and David Roennfeldt founders of 3 Deep are unerringly creative and unflinchingly ambitious. They never settle for the path well travelled and continually strive to produce strong work that challenges, surprises and delights.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Keep your eyes wide open. Be open to everything. Follow your instincts. Be true to yourself. Keep interested in your work. Challenge yourself. Don't follow blogs or read design magazines.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Be prepared to work extremely hard. Believe in yourself. Be resilient. Take every opportunity that comes your way. Work with people you like. Lead, don't follow.