Denise Howard is franchisee owner of in-toto Oxford, one branch of a national network of kitchen showrooms. Denise offers her customers unrivalled service, personal attention and is fully committed to quality. Trading for over 30 years, in-toto is also a member of the Kitchen Bathroom Bedroom Specialists Association, (KBSA). So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Denise Howard.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My style is sensory design that seduces the senses through colour, texture and form. I want the client to ‘fall in love’ with the feel of the design I have created for them.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
My first point of call is to sit with my client to ascertain their desires in terms of style, textures and colours, their lifestyle requirements and more importantly, listen to any details they do not want included in their space.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Having worked with many creative people over the years, I wouldn’t like to highlight anyone in particular. The continual interaction between creative people is important to keep my designs evolving. This is just so easy to do now with blogging, tweeting and, of course, the most important of all is talking to fellow designers.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Often, there is one item that a customer really wants to include which gives an insight into their personality and I try to reflect this in their design. This may be a piece of vintage glass, a type of flooring or just a colour they love.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
My career path has taken many turns. All I would say is follow your heart and go with your passion: I always had a passion for interior design plus I always wanted to start my own business. I have now combined those two desires in running my own kitchen design studio.