Bethany Dearden is a crafts, crochet and creative blogger sharing her many projects and tutorials on her blog Whistle & Ivy, based in Utah. Bethany is a sewist and wannabe crafter that is always learning new skills and pushing herself to create new designs. Blogging since 2012, she loves writing about her creative ideas, including DIY yarn crafts, gift ideas and latest crochet patterns. She is also a mother, wife and proud Mormon. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Bethany Dearden.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I am not sure how unique my style is, but I try to bring modern touches to the age-old craft of crochet.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I am so disorganized! I don’t really have a process. I get an idea in my head, and then sit down to try and make it.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I absolutely love my friend Alexis from Persia Lou. Her projects and photos are all beautiful, and she has so many creative talents!
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired? [Why does this work so well for you?]
I mostly wait for inspiration to come to me. I brainstorm ideas now and again, but my brain works very passively, I think.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Lots of work! In the beginning, I worked really hard, but not smart. Take advice of others, and find what works best for you. It’s important to make connections, share beautiful work by others, and make sure everything you do is your very, very best: quality over quantity.