Bernard Katz is an international glass artist, using multiple techniques to craft contemporary sculptures from his company Bernard Katz Glass. Bernard has a dynamic distinctive style, that he showcases in his pieces. He has a passion for electronics and 3D modelling, which he uses to hone his craft. His work is present in both public and private collections all over the world, including the United States, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia and the UK. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Bernard Katz.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My aesthetic is a deliberate simplicity of the form. Color and texture can convey a certain mood... But the form is always the most important consideration.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
It usually happens like this - quick sketch, think, daydream, then repeat... Repeat until I find a solid direction.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most? [And why?]
It is hard to place admiration to just one person. I learn something from everyone I work with.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired? [Why does this work so well for you?]
I don't believe in being able to manufacture inspiration on demand. Inspiration is like dark matter... It's everywhere. It is about being open to recognizing that "Ah-ha" moment.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
The creative process has always been with me, even as a kid. My advice would be to embrace learning while keeping an open mind.