Chrissy Halton is a design inspiration blogger sharing her DIY and craft advice at Style My House. Chrissy fills her site with ideas and tips to help her readers create their ideal home. Her guides and tutorials are designed to inspire readers by showcasing her design projects and giving helpful recommendations for the home. She also has a penchant for home organisation and decluttering. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Chrissy Halton.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Design has to be functional as well as stylish - creating an amazing home that works for those who live there is so important.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I look at what activities take place in the space, and what is needed there - which shows storage needs - and then I work on how to make it look great as well!
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I admire most the people who have their own style and taste, and don't apologise for it. Design is totally personal, so people such as Kelly Hoppen who use all neutrals are a perfect example, and very similar to my own aesthetic.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I always check out Pinterest - it's a treasure trove for ideas and inspiration at a glance - and can really help to create some unique ideas as a result.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Helping people create a home that they love is so important to me, and giving them a space that also makes the most of all the features while working functionally is what I feel makes a house into a home. I changed careers 10 years ago and followed my heart - and if I can do it, you can too! If you are looking to change careers then I highly recommend doing a diploma in interior design home study course to get a grounding and start to test the waters as to whether you are suited to the profession. You probably won't look back!