Mary Beth Herr is the co-founder of Coyle & Herr, along with partner Dorothy Coyle, offering customers a marketplace filled with eclectic home furnishings. Mary is based in Chicago, Illinois where she receives new consignments everyday, meaning that her customers never know what to expect when they visit. They work closely with local artisans, often referring clients to upholsterers and refinishers. They also stock high quality brands, such as Baker, Rose Tarlow and Ralph Lauren. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Mary Beth Herr.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Coyle & Herr is a consignment warehouse offering not only our aesthetic but a collection of others. We embrace whimsy with integrity. Honestly, we like it all if it has good bones.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
We frequently work on both commercial and residential projects. Lighting is an important mood setter, be it home or work, so we walk the space to understand the lighting – sun up to sun down.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Marina Birch. She is a wedding and event planner whose taste is exceptional. Her demeanor, manner and respect for her clients is blue ribbon.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Leafing through magazines and making piles of files. And of course, travel inspires – near or far.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Working under the direction of Lois Weisberg, former Commissioner of Cultural Affairs for the City of Chicago. Daily, she inspired us to keep every project accessible to one and all.
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):