Shayna Orrino is the home and DIY enthusiast behind The Wood Grain Cottage, writing about her various DIY and interior design projects, from her self built home in Colorado. Shayna has a huge passion for her home and loves embarking on DIY and decorating projects. One project at a time she is transforming her home into a cottage farmhouse, all the while sharing her efforts and inspiration on her blog. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Shayna Orrino.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I’m definitely a neutral girl. Crisp white walls, stained wood and plenty of texture definitely makes my heart race. In my book, there’s nothing better than the beauty of contrast.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I start by gathering inspiration. Be that images, paint colors, or textures. From there, I start bringing them all together until I am happy with the end result.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I have a huge amount of respect for Jenna Sue from Jenna Sue Designs. Apart from knowing her on a personal level, I admire her work ethic, vision and overall design aesthetics. She has amazing creativity and really goes the extra mile in her designs and business. It’s definitely something to be admired.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
When I start a new project or room design, I often like to sit in the space and just soak it in. I always ask myself how I want the space to feel. Being able to describe it helps tremendously.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Without a doubt, I wouldn’t be where I am if I hadn’t been true to myself. There are so many times when you have the opportunity to switch your style or creativity to reflect the things going on around you. Having the courage and knowledge to follow through with who you are is one of the best decisions you’ll ever make.