Peter Salerno is a custom cabinet maker, working on kitchen and bathroom designs for over 30 years, and working from his own company Peter Salerno, Inc, since 1997. Over the last ten years Peter has received an unprecedented 23 national awards from the National Kitchen and Bath Association. His designs have also been featured in Design New Jersey, New Jersey Home and Style, New York Spaces, Aspire and Kitchen & Bath Design News. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Peter Salerno.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Create drama with exaggerated focal points, like tin from a French Quarter ceiling or century old Chinese doors; push the size of the scale. The world is your oyster.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
It starts with the room’s theme. Create the masterpiece with the materials and products chosen. We are the artist; the room, the canvas; the materials, our paint.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Mick DeGuilio, a friend of mine, has been an inspiration. Through conversations and study of his projects, I have stretched my mind. He has enlightened me about the power of color, unique materials and simplicity.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Music with passion transforms my state of mind. I need to feel the artist’s soul in the music; then I am able to put my soul into my creation.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Passion and love for my craft gives me the courage to constantly step out of my comfort zone. No one achieves the pinnacle of their craft without being “all in” and pushing boundaries. Find what you really love and master it. The universe will take care of the rest.