Faye Marriott is a stylist and founder of Capital Carboot, London's only all year round carboot sale, which she founded in 2010. Faye has created a unique business catering for London’s bargain hunter, antique aficionado and vintage fashion fan. Going against the trend, she is reviving the classic car boot sale for a new generation and countering the appeal of online shopping. Her visitors chat enjoying the jovial atmosphere, whilst picking up bargains too. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Faye Marriott.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I like original pieces that have some history or some sort of story behind it, which is why I tend to buy second hand furniture and antiques. I’m a sucker for a romantic or tragic story- it gives the item meaning.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Plan, plan and plan. I tend to have lots of ideas whizzing around at once, sometimes for a long time. I like to keep them to myself until I can work out how to make it happen.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Anyone who is self-made. I find it hard to respect someone who hasn’t had to struggle with their business whilst growing it from nothing. I think that struggle shows a devotion, a passion and a belief. I admire and respect anyone who has had to give blood sweat and tears to become a success.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I need to be still and to be alone. My best ideas were born through quietness with no distractions - I wrote my business plan whilst alone on a beach!
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Perseverance, self will and self belief. If you have fear then it simply won’t work. I was told that my business wouldn’t work by so many people, but I just had a feeling it would. Listen to that voice.