Christopher Hampton-Davies is the president of ScanWest Interior Doors working from Ontario, Canada. Christopher has the simple objective of elevating the interior door as a design priority rather than afterthought with architects, design professionals and consumers. His goal is to create doors that are bold and create a focal point for a room, rather than just bland functional doors. His doors play with light and shadow, enhancing the character of form and aesthetics. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Christopher Hampton-Davies.
- Transcript -
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Blending Danish/West Coast styles, I try to evoke mystery, playfulness and interaction using organic materials, texture, light and shadow. Behind each design is a story of inspiration creating an emotional connection.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I try to understand the human synergy and reaction with the product/space. Can I capture natural light? Create fluidity between the materials? Integrate the surrounding landscape?
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My mother for her warmth, honesty and colourful story-telling, inspiring me to reflect who I am in my designs. My father for his business acumen and understanding the art of the deal. The reality is, it is the business of design.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Be open-minded; observant. Nature’s hand is an endless source of motivation. The excitement and challenge is capturing, distorting, re-arranging that inspired form, material or colour within a new function.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
After twenty years as a business executive, I needed to find a more personal sense of accomplishment. Through contemporary design and craftsmanship, I found self-expression. Define what success is to you and strike a balance between creativity and profitability. Patience, perseverance and strong communication are key essentials.