Barbara H. Karpf is founder and president of DecoratorsBest, the world’s largest e-commerce company specializing in designer fabric, wallpaper, rugs and pillows. As an interior designer for over twenty years, she has applied her knowledge of the design industry to the digital world. DecoratorsBest filled a need and gives anyone the opportunity to decorate their own home with products previously only available to professional designers. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Barbara Karpf.
– Transcript –
1) How would you describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I like to combine the look of traditional and eclectic. Mixing patterns, color and texture are my hallmark to creating timeless designs.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
It begins with a vision in my mind from the moment I enter a space-I can immediately see how I want the design to play out based on the “bones” of the home, a client’s lifestyle and interests.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Textile designer Donna May Woods, the design director at Hill Brown (a new division of Clarence House), pours her heart into the entire process of creating beautiful fabrics.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Color & pattern spark my inspiration the most. This really makes my design start to take hold and provides a foundation for me as I complete a project.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
In 2004 I asked myself how I could apply interior design to the fast-changing digital world. This flexibility for change allowed me to be successful. My advice? Never rest on your laurels, and constantly think ahead.