Kimberly Lewis is a designer working in Brooklyn from her own design studio Kimberly Lewis Home, since 2011. Kimberly specialises in “playful preppy” wallpaper and believes in joyful, coy colour and flirty whimsical patterns. She has been named by Apartment Therapy as one of the “8 Brooklyn Wallpaper Designers To Watch”. She has also worked independently for Clinique, Macy’s, Dwellstudio, SkipHop, WolfGordon, The Jewish Museum of NYC and JMcLaughlin. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Kimberly Lewis.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I believe in joyful, color, flirty patterns that add whimsy, and socially, environmentally conscious design and product development.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I like to put all of my ideas out on the table and then really cull them down the clarify my design concepts. I’m always on the lookout for inspiration and sometimes it can get overwhelming, clarity is key or you will be pulled in all sorts of directions!
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Christiane Lemieux. I freelanced for Dwellstudio a few years back and I greatly admire how she has grown and scaled Dwellstudio, not to mention her fabulous taste in design!
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Inspiration is everywhere. I try to stay present so I don’t miss a beat. It can be anything from seeing an art exhibit, walking down the street, to digging through flea market finds. You never know when inspiration will strike!
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Persistence, patience, and passion, you need all three! “Be true to your work, and your work will be true to you.” is the motto of my alma mater Pratt Institute and I wholeheartedly agree.