Keeping Up Appearances 4 - Work That Interior Design Trend!
Looking for a fresh look in your home? Need some inspiration from the latest interior design ideas and trends and how to work them? We have rounded up the best in decorating just for our lovely and loyal readers or those you who are popping in to say hello! If you want to keep up appearances then it takes more than just knowing what the trends are - but how to use them and have a gorgeous home as a result of it.
Always think a little ahead before choosing a theme/trend - will you still be in love with it when it loses popularity? Is it something you can live with long term? Sometimes adding a few touches is the safe way of working with a trend. Flower Power: Flowers are in full bloom - both in the garden and in home interiors. Roses are especially close to the British heart. To work the look, have a think about the following additions to your home:
- Floral wallpaper design: An eye-catching print on one feature wall or all four if you are brave enough! Choose between brights, sheer finishes or monochrome - just make sure the blooms are loud and proud.
- Pillowcases: Give existing pillows and cushions a new look with new, but cheap cushion covers. Look for bright floral prints or textured designs where the blooms protrude from the fabric.
- Pretty Teacups and Saucers: Accessorise further with some chintz bought from second hand markets or antique shops. Display them on open shelving in kitchens and dining rooms.
- Cheap Bedding Sets: The new folk style is a lot fresher so look for white bedding with a 70's inspired print of birds, flowers or both! Cool colours of blue and green work well together without being too loud.
- Russian Dolls: They are iconic to the folk style and can be found as décor pieces in their own right or as a print on tableware, bedding sets, custom made to measure roller blinds or floor rugs.
- Mix and Match: This style definitely relates to bohemianism once you take away the dark colours. Mix and match textiles and rough surfaces with polished. Crochet blankets, sheer curtains and natural wooden floorboards with cosy floor rugs.