Erica Swanson is the founder of Design At Your Doorstep, as well as her own design studio Erica Swanson Design, working from Toronto. Erica creates digital interior design plans for clients throughout North America, helping them to create their dream home. She sculpts a vision and design ideas into 3D form through three highly customized, luxurious design packages. This then gives her clients full control over the design direction, timing and budget. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Erica Swanson.
Image Credit: 1) Restoration Hardware 2) Home Wet Bar 3) Z Gallerie 4) Post-A-Rose 5) Elte
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Classic and traditional with modern elements and finishes; bold in colour and refined in expression.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I always begin with my client; who they are, how they want to live, what they need. Then I weave a visual narrative around that point of view, often beginning with a colour, a texture, an overarching mood.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My father is a builder and loves solving problems, always managing to find creative solutions to the most unorthodox challenges. His clients rave about his craftsmanship.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Music. Always music. As a universal language, music communicates mood the way no other medium can do.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Technology has radically transformed the interior design industry; I’ve designed an entire two-story addition on a century stone farmhouse without ever having set foot on the property. If this path feels right for you, I would say entrepreneurship requires courage, commitment, and a strong belief in your skills.