Mary Gander is the founder of Sweetpea & Betty Boutique along with her sister Tricia, restoring old furniture from Falmouth, Cornwall. Offering a French romantic style, her store is unique, quirky, and named after her Aunt Betty who was stylish, sophisticated and fun. Mary adores beautiful gifts, mirrors and chandeliers – as well as vintage romantic finds. She also has a passion for textiles and colour, and has achieved a City & Guilds in Designs & Embroidery. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Mary Gander.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
Soft vintage floral designs with French Rococo influence and a splash of Boho Chic.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Inspired by the endless landscapes and diverse styles of Cornwall. I’ll see something I love and create a mood board (usually in my sketch book) bursting with colour and texture.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
Annie Sloan. Annie inspires me to “play”, be creative and explore with colour. I always feel inspired and energised after I’ve spent time with her in Oxford.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Books. Pinterest. Travel – in this country or further afield. Or simply walking through Falmouth or along the beach….
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
Follow your heart. Take a leap of faith and go for it. It’s really hard work but worth every step because you’re doing what you love!
Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):