Nicole Tamarin is the owner of her eponymous licensing illustration studio, creating illustrations from Massachusetts. Nicole loves to create and decorate, her passion being illustration which she studied at the Massachusetts College of Art. She has always been passionate about product design and after college worked within an interior design firm, where she learnt about space, color, pattern and texture. For Nicole it is all about seeing an initial sketch fully develop into a final product. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Nicole Tamarin.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
My work can go from the whimsical to traditional but is always full of detail and high level of polish. Overall I’d say I have a vintage feminine feel.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I always start with visual research before moving on to sketching, usually micron on paper. Final drawings are then hand painted with watercolor before being scanned and worked with digitally.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I feel very fortunate to have had some amazing mentors who have guided, encouraged and inspired me as I’ve started down this path. Being able to have these real world examples of women juggling motherhood, art and business has been invaluable. I think it’s their openness and willingness to help me through situations that they may have had to figure out on their own is what I respect the most.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I’ve always collected pictures, I have still have files filled with clippings but my big go to now is Pinterest. I have dozens of boards for quick project inspiration.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
So many late nights I can’t even count! Also research, risks and reaching out. As for advice; the things that scare you the most, are probably the steps you should take. It is also so important to be able to pick yourself up after the big falls and keep going.