Brenda Lusher is a champion of Addison Mizner and in 1998 helped to restore the original company “Mizner Industries”, reviving it and dedicating it to the personal craftsmanship of Mizner. Brenda, an accomplished artisan in her own right, recognised the demand for unique designs and the desire for perfection from her clients. Her unique tile studio now specialises in custom hand-painted ceramic tiles and even has an extensive library of historic tile designs to choose from. So we are proud to bring you the Designer Insights of Brenda Lusher.
– Transcript –
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I started my company 18 years ago reproducing old tile designs. Mizner Industries continues to add new styles implementing a variety of techniques based on the needs of my clients.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
Research and visualization. I have collected hundreds of books and photographs from around the world. Recently Pinterest has provided a plethora of images.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
I feel very blessed to work with some of the world’s best designers and architects. I most admire those who respect my expertise, provide me with an idea and then allow me the flexibility to produce something unique for their client. Every job is different and I appreciate being given the opportunity to create a lasting piece of art.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
Travel – I love roaming through the old towns in Europe. It is inspiring to see tiles in situ that remain in style hundreds of years after they were produced.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
I have a very diverse background. I continued to learn from every experience and eventually discovered what I love doing. Find something you are passionate about, be prepared to work hard, be like a sponge and absorb information like water, be the best at what you do and never give up.